Tuesday, August 30, 2011

New Foods From The Garden


I love discovering new and interesting fruits and vegetables, and just when I think there can't be anything new out there, along comes a surprise. My delicious surprise at the Leucadia Farmer's Market was the Mexican Sour Gherkin Cucumber. It measures about 1 inch long and looks like a mini watermelon. It's the cutest little vegetable ever. It's loaded with nutrients and lots of fiber. They are crunchy, slightly lemony but with a cucumber taste. I just love them. They can be eaten whole, as a snack, or added to salads for a wonderful crunch. They can even be pickled. I have used them in salads since I bought a small bag of them a few weeks ago. I call them Watermelon Cucumbers. A simple recipe for these little delights follows.


Tomato and Watermelon Cucumber Salad

1/2 c. cherry tomatoes, halved
1/2 . watermelon cucumbers, halved
champagne vinegar
olive oil
salt and pepper
chopped lemon basil

Halve the vegetables, then add the rest of the ingredients to taste. Normally I use 2 parts olive oil to 1 part vinegar. Refrigerate for a few hours to allow flavors to meld. It's a nice side salad to serve with barbequed meats. Enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment