Thursday, August 11, 2011

Intelligent TV

Current TV, the station started by Al Gore, is new to me. I recently ran across it because I heard that Keith Olbermann had a $10million deal with them for his show, Countdown. Keith may not be your cup of tea, but don't stop reading this yet, as the programming of this network has so much to offer.

Current TV has a team of journalists that travel worldwide to give the viewer in depth stories that you probably won't find anywhere else. One current story was called "Soccer's Lost Boys", about the soccer slave trade in West Africa. Thousands of young West African boys are sucked into slavery with the promise that their athletic abilities will get them to the pro league. Another show called Vanguard, does in depth stories on drugs and the direction our young people are going with drugs, which is fascinating, but depressing. A program called "Gateway to Heroin" explores the trend for users of prescription drugs to switch to heroin. The show studies the Boston area, one of the most heroin infested areas of the country. Another story I found interesting dealt with marketing smoking to our youth. Sure, occasionally CNN will have an in depth story on a topic of interest, but this station has fascinating programming every day.

In the fall they are going to have a series on called something like, "The best 50 documentaries of all time." That's one I will definitely not want to miss.

Current TV is not an extension of MSNBC. I would call most of the programming "Under the Radar" stories. This is stuff I love, and thought I'd let you know that I'm enjoying it, and maybe you will too.

No comments:

Post a Comment