Friday, August 12, 2011

The Ultimate Thermal Massage System


I first discovered Migun thermal massage beds about 10 years ago. At the time we had finished building our home in Del Mar, but were still not full time in the area. We would usually drive here Thursday afternoon and return to LA on Monday. I didn't know many people down here, but I worked out an arrangement with the local gym, Del Mar Workout (now defunct) where I could use the gym when I was here and only pay 1/2 price. Through the gym I met several people, and one of them told me about a new store that had opened in Encinitas called Migun. The store sold the Migun massage bed, and in order to get people to buy it, they had 20 beds available to use, at no charge, hoping to get customers hooked. I was intrigued by this, so of course I visited the store.

First, the Migun bed is fantastic. It is Korean made and represents the fusion of Asian and Western Medical techniques. Inspired by the effects of acupressure, acupuncture, heat-therapy, chiropractic and massage, Migun thermal massage provides you with the most amazing relaxation and balance you can imagine. I was told that the bed was invented my a Korean man who wanted to help his arthritic mother feel better. The bed contains dozens of heated jade cones that press on all parts of your body to help get the kinks out and create complete relaxation. The store is not here anymore, but the company is based in Los Angeles. The store became so popular that you would have to sign up upon arrival at Migun and wait for a bed.

Picture this. You walk into a showroom with 20 massage beds lined up, 10 on one side, 10 on the other. Every bed is occupied by a man or woman with a towel over their eyes, arms out, completely relaxed, many asleep. You think you've walked into the Twilight Zone. Soft music enhances the experience. There was no charge to use the beds, and for over a year I would stop in regularly, at least twice a week for a massage. Then, one day, they changed their concept and started charging for the use of the bed. You could pay $50 a month and use the bed whenever you wanted. It was a lot cheaper than buying the bed that retailed for over $3,000, but people were used to paying nothing, so it didn't fly. Ultimately, the Migun store that we all loved so much closed, and now you can only buy them on line, as far as I know.

34 minutes on the bed, and you would come away completely refreshed and revitalized. As I looked at the web site before writing this, I see that the bed has many more features than it did 10 years ago. Now you can manipulate the jade heads to focus on a specific area of the body.

Every time I walked into Migun I looked around and couldn't believe that right in the middle of Encinitas, in the middle of the day, grown men and women were taking off their shoes, closing their eyes, and taking time out to relax. It was quite strange, but in a good way. I miss the place. I have no idea what made me think of this bed and all the hours I spent on it, but something must have triggered that memory. If you ever have a chance to try the bed, please do. You will love it. I guess they just couldn't sell enough beds to keep the showroom open. It was great while it lasted, though.

No comments:

Post a Comment