Friday, August 26, 2011

The Best Buttermilk Ranch Dressing Ever

For the past 40 years I've been buying a ranch dressing in Los Angeles. Over the years it's become harder and harder to come by. Those of you who lived in LA in the 1970's and 1980's probably remember Caplan's Delicatessen in Northridge. Caplans carried this wonderful dressing in addition to some wonderful Weight Watcher's approved desserts. I would trek out to Northridge once a month to stock up. They made a fruit danish that was about 100 calories. I would buy about 20 of them, freeze them, and enjoy them as an evening snack. I'd also get 2 or 3 containers of this declicious dressing. Unfortunately, Caplan's closed. The wonderful desserts were gone, and the dressing became harder and harder to find. It is still sold at Factors in Beverly Hills, but I rarely get there. So, I decided to experiment and try to replicate this ranch dressing that my family liked so much. I came up with a pretty good recipe, and it's very low in calories without giving up great taste. I use it as a salad dressing, a dip for veggies and crackers, and as a topping for baked potatoes. I hope you love it as much as I do.

Caplan's Buttermilk Ranch Dressing

1/2 cup low fat buttermilk
1/4 cup non fat sour cream (I use Trader Joe's. If I don't have that I use low fat sour cream, as the other non fat sour creams are not very good)
1/4 cup reduced fat mayo (get any low calorie brand)
1tsp pureed garlic (I use the one in a plastic tube)
salt and pepper to taste

Combine ingredients in a blender for a few seconds. Taste, and adjust top three ingredients according to your personal taste. Make sure it is fairly thick. It will thicken as it cools in refrigerator. It will keep at least 2 weeks, if it lasts that long. For a change, add a little blue cheese for a wonderful blue cheese dressing. I don't know the calorie count for this dressing, but it is low. Enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment