Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Raspberry Peach Crumble


I recently heard a static that didn't surprise me, but brought to my attention how much food we all waste. 27% of the food we buy is wasted. Wow. That's a lot. I try hard to buy just what I need, but hardly a week goes by that I don't make a pot of vegetable soup using leftovers. Today I made a raspberry peach crumble with 4 peaches that I bought earlier in the week, but never got around to eating. I know you know what I'm talking about.

I am going to Fran's for dinner tonight, so I decided to make a nice summer dessert using the peaches I never got around to eating. It will be delicious. I've made it before with a variety of fruit combinations, but peaches and raspberries are just the right combination of sweet and tart.


Raspberry Peach Crumble

1 pint fresh raspberries
3 fresh peaches, pitted and chopped (drop in boiling water to peel if you like)
2 T. lemon juice
1/3 c. white sugar
1 pinch cinnamon
flour as needed

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Lightly grease 6 small ramekins, or make in an 8X11 pyrex pan (that's what I did). In a bowl mix above ingredients. If your mixture is very juicy as mine was, add either a tablespoon of flour or cornstarch to the mixture. This will thicken everything as it cooks.

1 c. rolled oats
1/2 c. unsalted butter
1/4 c. brown sugar
1/4 c. white sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 tsp salt
1 pinch cinnamon

Mix these ingredients until well combined, and the butter is broken into pea sized pieces. Sprinkle evenly over top.

Cook for 35-40 minutes or until bubbly and brown. Cool at least 15 minutes before serving. It doesn't need a thing, but if you're so inclined, top with a scoop of vanilla or peach ice cream. Enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment