Thursday, May 28, 2009

A French Film With Five Friends

What could be more fun in the middle of the week than going to see a foreign film with a couple of good friends? That's exactly what we did today. We went to La Jolla to see Summer Hours, with Juliette Binoche. We all enjoyed the movie, in fact we stayed in the theatre talking about it until we were kicked out by the cleaning crew, preparing the theatre for the next showing.

I was happy I didn't take Ron. He's an action/adventure/suspense kind of guy. If the movie doesn't have some killing, he'd rather stay home and watch reruns of Law and Order. I can just picture what his reaction to this movie would have been. After about 15 minutes he would turn and look at me with a look that said, "When do we leave?" I would tell him to sit still and try and enjoy the film. In another 15 minutes he would turn to me and say, "I'll meet you in the lobby when the movie is over." Now you know why I called a few friends to see this movie. Barbie, who saw the movie with me today, said her husband would have had a nice nap. Why is it that women enjoy a certain kind of movie (very talky) and most men don't? This movie was just about life. Maybe men are looking for escape. I really don't know, but I know I'm happier and Ron's happier if I go to this type of movie with my women friends.

Many years ago I bought Ron a little button that he kept on his desk until he retired. It said, "What are the chances of men and women understanding each other?" On the button was a picture of a tall, thin cowboy named Slim, and a Nun.

I saved $7.50 today by not going to the movie with Ron. I also saved myself the aggravation of having to explain to Ron how I could possibly like that movie.

No comments:

Post a Comment