Monday, May 4, 2009

Going Organic

For years I have been fighting the urge to buy organic fruits, vegetables, meat and eggs, saying it was much more expensive and a waste of money. A bit of knowledge has taught me I was wrong. Yes, organic is more expensive, the food isn't always as appealing to look at, but the positives far outweigh the negatives. Certified organic foods adhere to strict USDA guidlines to get their certification. No pesticides, toxins, or other chemicals are used in the production of organic food. Additionally, organic farmers emphasize the use of renewable resources and conservation of soil and water. The best way to save money on organic fruits and veggies is to shop at the farmers markets. Here you will be buying produce that was just picked, and helping small farmers stay in business.

This month many businesses are focusing on what consumers can do to reduce their carbon footprint. A few easy suggestions follow.
  • Recycle bags. This means always having a canvas bag with you and using it for all your groceries, drugstore items, even places like Costco. I know this creates a problem for dog owners, but many communities have doggie poop bags. Many stores give a small rebate for bringing your own bag.
  • Buy from the bulk containers. This means no wasteful packaging.
  • Buy local. Food that travels a short distance is fresher and usually less expensive
  • Buy organic whenever possible

I am excited to challenge myself to create less waste, to reuse whenever possible, to grow my own food, in other words, to go green. I'll keep you posted on my garden as it progresses. My goal is to produce all my own vegetables from June-September. We'll see.

No comments:

Post a Comment