Thursday, May 21, 2009

Popovers Extraordinaire


I hadn't had popovers in many years, since the days we used to go to Lawry's in Beverly Hills for a prime rib dinner. Now that I don't eat much meat, popovers were not something I thought much about. Then last year my mystery book club was reading a book called Key Lime Pie Murder by Joanne Fluke. The book was filled with delicious recipes, mostly cookies and bars. I tried several of the cookies, with the ginger snaps being the very best. Then I saw the recipe for the popovers and had to try them. I have made them at least six times since. They are easy, beautiful and versitle. One of my emergency dinners is omelettes with popovers. They can also be used in place of shortcake to make a fruit dessert with whipped cream. Try them, you'll like them.

Popovers Extraordinaire



  • 2 eggs, beaten

  • 1c. all purpose flour

  • 1c. milk (low fat is fine)

  • 1/2tsp. salt

Preheat oven to 450degrees. Grease muffin tins with shortening, or just spray well with cooking spray. Blend all ingredients by hand, making sure not to overmix. Pour batter into muffin tins, filling about 3/4 of the way. Place in oven and cook for 30minutes. DO NOT OPEN THE OVEN DURING COOKING. Your popovers should be perfectly cooked. Remove and serve while hot. I like them with butter and some great jam. Enjoy.


The mystery book club enjoyed the recipes in this book so much that we had a party. Our leader Jean, offered to host a brunch at her home and everyone in the group made one recipe from the book. What a feast we had. Most of the the recipes from the book were delicious. Even if you don't care for the books in this mystery series, they're worth checking out for the recipes.


No comments:

Post a Comment