Friday, May 1, 2009

Tips You Probably Already Know

I thought I would share with you a few tips for saving money that I use regularly. You probably already do many of these things, but here they are anyway.

Are you meeting someone at an outdoor location for coffee or lunch? The Lumberyard, Del Mar Plaza, and the Forum come immediately to mind. Bring your own coffee, tea or water instead of buying it there. These are public spaces, and you can bring your own food or drink if you choose. This could save you hundreds of dollars over the course of a year. I remember many years ago when I would go to Century City for lunch, and I would see literally dozens of seniors who had brought their own bag lunches enjoying their friends and dining with them for free! I often like to get together with friends, but don't necessarily want to spend $10-$15 for lunch, and would often prefer to bring my own food. However, I rarely do it. Now that I have reminded you, and myself to do this, I will follow my own advice.

My Monday morning weight management group began bringing our own reusable cups to the meeting. The purpose was twofold. One, we were saving cups by not having to use a throwaway cup, and two, the coffee house where we meet, Java Depot in Solana Beach, gives us free refills, so you only have to buy the small size. I know this sounds like very little savings, but this is saving money and saving paper cups. Every little bit helps.

I usually have one day of the week when I do most of my errands. In the past, when gas was cheap and no one thought about driving all over town, I would go helter skelter from one place to another, in no particular order. Now, I actually have a plan. I plot out where I have to go, and try to proceed in a circle. This can save a great deal of time and gas. Simple, you probably already do this, but a little reminder sometimes gets you back to saving.

I'd love to hear some of your comments on money saving tips, so please leave them in the comments section. I share with you, you share with me, and we'll all save money.

No comments:

Post a Comment