Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Who's Eating My Squash? Garden Update

I started a small garden about a month ago. For the most part, it's thriving, however there are a few exceptions. So far so good with the tomatoes. They are growing quickly, some are almost two feet high, and have many flowers already. My yellow crookneck squash and japanese eggplant are also doing fine, as are my lettuce and herbs. Here's the problem. My zucchini plants and my pole beans have been totally decimated by some hungry invader. I suspect a rabbit or possibly a squirrel. Each morning I go out, and the plants are smaller than the day before. I thought it was supposed to be the other way around. Whoever it is does not eat the whole plant in one sitting. He/she savors it over a few days, eating leaves, flowers, buds, until nothing is left but a little stalk.

All the plants that have been eaten are situated about 10 feet away from the house. I have another bed of plants against the house, but the critters don't seem to touch those. I guess the guilty party is afraid to get too close to the house. That dangerous dog I have inside might come out and catch them. Seriously, though, this is the big problem with growing organic food. How to control pests without insecticides. I have tried red pepper, that didn't work. I have tried human hair, that didn't work. And I'm too lazy to put up netting. I have to think that these creatures are clever, and will figure out how to eat them anyway. So for this year, I will make do with tomatoes, eggplant, squash (two kinds), cucumbers, lettuce and lots of herbs. Not enough to self sustain me, but it's a good start. Hopefully by next year I will figure out a way to grow everything I want without Peter Rabbit and his cronies ruining my garden.

No comments:

Post a Comment