Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Canapes in San Marcos-Little Bites, Big Flavor

You must think I eat out all the time, what with all the restaurant reviews I do. I really don't eat out alot, but when I do, I want to try new and interesting restaurants that I think others may not know about. My friend Regina recently told me about a great evening of food and wine she had with a few friends at Canapes in San Marcos. I suggested we try it again. We did and Regina, Molly and I had a real feast, plus a delicious bottle of wine for $20 per person.

Canapes is on Restaurant Row in San Marcos. They have indoor and outdoor seating, and a small bar area. The menu is extensive and varied, and most everything on the menu is little plates. The three of us shared about 6 little plates, which was plenty of food. We had a wedge salad with bacon, tomato and blue cheese dressing, rounds of sourdough bread topped with steak, grilled onions and a delicious horseradish sauce, rounds of bread topped with brie cheese and drunken raisins (raisins soaked in rum) and broiled, Mediterranean pizza on flatbread (lots of veggies, including eggplant, onions and peppers, broiled), and for dessert we had figs stuffed with goat cheese. With all this food we had a delicious bottle of Pinot Grigio for only $18. I found so many other menu items that I wanted to try, but I will just have to wait until next time. Prawns, pollenta topped with creamed mushrooms,mussels, Thai chicken in peanut dipping sauce,wonderful sounding soups, more salads and many more small appetizers. They also offer some delicious sounding desserts, including tiramisu.

On Wednesdays during the summer they also show old movies, starting at 7:30. The night we were there it was W.C. Fields. If you want to watch the movie it's best to get there around 7:15, order, then watch the movie and eat till you're hearts content.

The best features of Canapes are its freshness and variety. The owner will not serve anything that isn't fresh from the kitchen. The great variety means there is something for everyone, and everyone has an opportunity to try something new. Foodies are going to love it as the three of us did and will go back again and again for its good value and quality. Take a group there. It's more fun that way. They say that variety is the spice of life, and you'll get plently of variety at Canapes.

No comments:

Post a Comment