Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Keeping Cool, Eating Well


Summer has finally arrived. A little late and with a vengence. Actually most of us don't like the current heat wave. As a boogie boarder you'd think I'd love this weather, but the water temperature is still 61 degrees, too cold for a wuss like me to venture into without a short wetsuit. Another negative of the intense heat is I need to use my air conditioner. I had gone all summer without air, but I turned it on yesterday. Just a few hours at the end of the day cools off the house beautifully. I was in Escondido on Monday where the temperature was 110 degrees. When I got home the temperature was only 89 degrees. What a difference being close to the coast makes.

Many people eat less in extreme heat. I'm not one of those people. I do, however, like lighter meals, especially cold soups. My mom reminded me yesterday of one of my favorite cold soups, low in calories and so easy you won't believe it. Here it is.

Jellied Consomme With Sour Cream and Caviar

1 can consomme, well chilled
1 dollop of sour cream
1 tsp red or black caviar (I like black)

Open the soup can and spoon consomme into serving bowl. I can eat the whole can myself, but 3/4 of a can is probably a suitable portion. The soup will be gelatinous, not soupy. Add a dollop of sour cream and a spoon of caviar on top for a delicious, elegant, low calorie soup. It's so easy, and your guests will be so impressed. This is a great hot weather soup, but it's great anytime of year for the family or an elegant dinner party. Enjoy. (sorry this picture does not show how great the soup looks with sour cream and caviar on top)

No comments:

Post a Comment