Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Fresh and Simple in North County: Tin Leaf Kitchen



While driving to the library today, a new sign caught my eye at the corner of Alga and El Camino Real. It read Tin Leaf. I decided to check it out on my way home. I parked my car to take a closer look at this new restaurant, and immediately knew it was my kind of place. The decor is simple, contemporary and bright, with both inside and outside seating. I met the owner and told him I would be back soon, as the menu enticed me. I came back that very night with my friend Marlene, and we enjoyed a delicious meal together.

Tin Leaf is not a dining experience, although the atmosphere is pleasant and comfortable. It is, however, an eating experience you will return to again and again. The mission of Tin Leaf is to provide a gathering place that serves affordably priced chef quality fresh food in a relaxed and friendly atmosphere. The food is hand-crafted from scratch, using natural, fresh and regionally sourced fruits and vegetables. They are also interested in serving the community through charitable work and through a kids chef program, which teaches kids to eat healthy. This is all I've been looking for both philosophically and gastronomically. Here's what we had for dinner.

Marlene and I started with an order of fresh cut belgian-style fries. They were crisp, slightly spicy, and served with a choice of several different sauces. We loved the garlic aioli sauce. Next, we enjoyed the tri tip steak salad. Grilled red onion, blue cheese, rare tri tip and baby spinach tossed in a delicious vinegrette. Just wonderful. Other salads include the Mediterranean, Asian, Chopped, and a make your own salad, where you can pick out your own ingredients, exactly as you choose. Sandwiches included hand carved tri tip, turkey breast, pork loin and meatloaf. Specialty sandwiches like Thanksgiving on a bun, the twisted blt, and California cubano intrigued me enough that I will be back again. Several homemade soups complete the menu.

Family style meals on the go will be offered soon. Each night of the week a different family meal, like turkey pot pie, Italian meatballs, or beef bourguignon will be available to take home. No prices are yet posted for these meals, but everything else is reasonable priced, so I imagine the family meals will be too.

I hope there are others in North County that like me, are looking for restaurants that are fresh, healthy and affordable. This is a great choice for the entire family, as there are vegetarian, vegan and meat choices available, and the customer can have salads and sandwiches prepared exactly the way they want. I was there for dinner. Next time, it'll be lunch on the patio on a sunny California day. Go to www.tinleafkitchen.com for the complete menu.

No comments:

Post a Comment