Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Zel's: A Pleasant Surprise

Funny how things happen sometimes. I had plans to go to lunch with a group of friends a few weeks ago, only to discover that the restaurant we planned to eat in was not open for lunch. It's new, and the restaurant was working on getting their dinner service perfect before adding lunch. I was very disappointed, but Linda suggested we try another new restaurant in Del Mar. Always up for something new, I said yes, and Linda, Cindy, Pam and I went to Zel's in Del Mar. (www.zelsdelmar.cm).

Located on Camino del Mar in the middle of Del Mar, it is recognizable for the beautiful tree in front. This restaurant has been many things in the past, but Zel's may be here to stay. The restaurant has been tastefully redocorated. It was a warm summer afternoon, so we sat on the shaded patio and enjoyed some wonderful food.

You must go to the website to check their hours, their happy hour, brunch, lunch and dinner menu. So many things and times I could not write it all here. Let me tell you about the food at Zel's.

We decided to try several dishes and split them. We had a caprese sandwich, which was just delicious. In their version, the sandwich was heated and the mozzarella slightly melted. It was a wonderful surprise. It was served with homemade fries, which I did not try, but my tasters told me they could have been crispier. We had a veggie flatbread, with eggplant, pesto, red onions, red pepper, feta cheese, mint and mozzarella. I loved it. Also on the menu is a smoke salmon flatbread and a ham, cheese and veggie flatbread. Great dishes for sharing. Our third dish was the warm chicken salad with feta cheese and a great vinegrette dressing.

Other lunch items that I saw but did not eat were the quiche of the day served with a nice simple green salad. The old school burger looked very tempting, as did the pan grilled tomato and fontina cheese sandwich with balsamic reduction. I loved the presentation of the nicoise salad. It was served on a white rectangular plate. The greens were piled on one side, and all the protein and veggies were piled artistically on the other side of the plate: seared ahi tuna, green beans, kalmata olives, hard boiled eggs and fingerling potatoes. I will get that next time.

At dinner they have more appetizers, or small plates, like calamari, slow braised artichoke, steamed mussels and hummus done three ways. Entrees include steak, 1/2 chicken and several pasta dishes.

Prices are reasonable, portions are generous, service is friendly and the ambience is delightful. I'll be back.

No comments:

Post a Comment