Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Two Big Winners From Mississippi

What are the odds of two people from small towns in Mississippi winning two different contests on TV, both on the same night? That's a longshot for sure. Well, it happened on September 15 when Michael Grimm won top honors on America's Got Talent and Whitney Miller won the first ever MasterChef. I don't usually watch much TV, but for some reason I got hooked on these two programs a few weeks ago. Wednesday night was the finale of both programs, both at the same time, and both with a contestant from Mississippi in the the top two. I thought that was amazing, so I flicked back and forth and saw them both win top honors.

I must confess Michael Grimm was not my top choice for the number one spot on America's Got Talent. I was rooting for the 10 year old from Pittsburgh, Jackie. She sings like an angel, with the voice of an adult. Wednesday night she sang a duet with Sarah Brightman and you would have thought you were listening to two seasoned stars, not just one.

The winner, Michael Grimm is also an amazing talent. With a raspy, soulful sound and very cute to look at, he was my second choice. I predict he'll be a big star. He will be getting $1 million and will star in a Las Vegas show. He's got a voice you're going to enjoy hearing for years to come. Jackie, the 10 year old opera singer will be a major star too. She's got it all. But Michael, young man from Mississippi was the big winner.

MasterChef is another creation of Gordon Ramsey. Wednesday night they crowned their first masterchef, an amateur cook who won $250,000 plus a cookbook contract. The winner was 22 year old Whitney Miller from Mississippi. She was one of the most inexperienced cooks in the competition but ended up winning it all. Another contestant from Mississippi.

I'm a bit of a gambler, but would I have bet on two shows on the same night having winners from Mississippi? Not even with your money would I have made that bet.

1 comment:

  1. I'm surprised, yet not surprised....b/c honestly, I think Mississippi's largest export is talent...lol....there are soooo many talented people that come from that state....i heard someone say that MS has more famous people/legends per capita than any other state throughout history...so, i did my research...and wow,amazed at the well known household names tht come from there...Elvis, Oprah, Tennessee Williams, Faith Hill, Peavey electronics, Morgan Freeman, William Falkner, John Grisham, Jimmy Buffet, B.B. King, Sela Ward, Tammy Wynette, Jim Henson...the list goes on,,,other reality tv show winners from MS are: PDiddy's Star Maker, Liz Davis,,, Biggest Loser,Patrick House,,Guitar Center, Brandon Green.....and prolly more, who knows?...but i do agree that it was rare for the winners to be aired the same night...would have been something if winner of Big Brother was from MS too...lol

    ReplyDelete