Friday, January 8, 2021

Onion Relish Has Many Uses

 What do you do to pass the time this winter?  One of the things I am doing more of is watching food shows on TV and cooking.  Most everything they make looks delicious.  The problem is if I make it I eat it, and most of the items are not Weight Watchers approved.  Well, we've all got to do what we can to get through this disaster.  I will deal with some extra pounds later on.

Onion relish and tomato jam are two condiments that I love, have had at upscale restaurants in the past, but have never made.  I decided to make onion relish the other day.  The amounts of the ingredients are approximate.  If you like it sweet, add a little more brown sugar.  If you like it savory, add more red wine vinegar and red wine.


                                                             Onion Relish

2 onions diced or thin sliced (I diced them, but next time I will slice thin.  I think the final product will be better)

1T. brown sugar

1T. red wine vinegar

1T. balsamic vinegar

1/4 c. red wine

Slice onions, cook them for 5-10 minutes in a pan with a little olive oil until soft and mushy.  Add all the other ingredients, mix well and cook for an additional 10 minutes, or until all the liquid is absorbed.  That's it!  

I put it on a hamburger the other night and it was delicious!  You can use it as a condiment on any protein, put on a burger as I did, or put it on a sandwich.  A turkey sandwich with onion relish.  Yum.

No comments:

Post a Comment