Monday, January 25, 2021

Thank You Anna Pavlova

 Anna Pavlova was one of the great Russian ballerinas from the early 20th century.  She went on world tours, and is often credited with eating a light, airy meringue dessert, topped with cream and fruit, which became known as pavlova.  Both the Australians and New Zealanders claim credit for creating the dessert and naming it after her (she loved it), but in reality it probably came from either Germany or Austria, where meringue tortes were created.  A meringue recipe was also written on the back of corn starch boxes years ago, which may have increased it's popularity at the time.  Wherever it came from, it is delicious. 

I was at the park one day when Rita told me she had been watching the British Baking Show, and they had made pavlova.  I wasn't quite sure what it was, so I looked it up, bought the ingredients, and made it.

I need to tell you a short story about making it, and all I can say is, think of an I Love Lucy episode.  The first part of the dessert is the making of the meringue, a mixture of egg whites, sugar and a little corn starch and lemon juice (or cream of tartar).  I got out my hand mixture and started working on the egg whites, which must get stiff and shiny.  A few minutes into beating the eggs, the mixer died.  It just stopped dead, and could not be started.  So, I got my trusty whisk out and started beating eggs by hand.  Have you ever done it?  OMG.  What a workout.  I was adding corn starch to the mixture and beating frantically, laughing all the time, and feeling like my arm would fall off.  I never got the eggs as stiff as they should have been, and I had a new found respect for the hard work home makers from years gone by faced.  

The meringue came out pretty well, but the next step was whipping the cream.  I had been told by a friend that whipping the cream would be much easier.  Not true.  Cream was all over the counter, on the floor, on my clothes, and of course on my face.  Powdered sugar was also everywhere.  

I think you get the picture.  The picture below is what a completed pavlova looks like, and it is well worth the work.  Next time I will have the proper equipment.  The one I made was filled with whipping cream to which I added lemon curd, then topped with strawberries.  If you really want to impress, this is the dessert to make.  Make this when you have friends over, whenever that is.



No comments:

Post a Comment